Thursday, December 10, 2015

Gift Ideas for the Gals


Here's the cowgirl follow-up to last week's Cowboy Gift Guide--we can't leave out the girls! This list is a combo of things I love for working outside, things I love for keeping track, and things I love because they're beautiful and functional.

One: Carhartt Vest. I have this vest in two colors and I love it. I love having pockets in which to put things, and a tough vest to save my shirts some wear and tear. These also provide some warmth either on their own or under a jacket. Mine are both the worse for wear, and Carhartt has come out with so many new colors lately that I just might have to invest in a new one sometime soon.

Two: American West Weekender. This is a great idea for the cowgirl-on-the-go. Leather is gorgeous and durable, and the tooling provides a little western flair.

Three: Floral Travel Cup. When looking for things for myself, I generally try to find something that's just as functional as the "boy" version, but prettier. Sometimes that's a hard thing to find, but these gorgeous Starbucks cups fit the bill perfectly. I have a stainless floral version of this that I received as a gift last year, and I love it. Something pretty to take along in the pickup that your cowboy won't steal and then lose or get grease or poop on. Win-win!

Four: Eddie Bauer Field Vest. Again, just as functional as the mens' version, but prettier! This baby is on my wishlist this Christmas. It's tailored, not too puffy, and comes in several gorgeous colors. I have two other Eddie Bauer vests and they wear well, wash great, and are very warm, so I know the quality is going to be good. Bonus, this also comes in two jacket versions, which would be prefect for running to town if your cowgirl lives in a cold climate. Double bonus, Eddier Bauer frequently runs sales and right now, this vest is 40% off.

Five: Minnetonka Moccasins. The same as the boys, but in red. I've had a pair of these, and it took me years to wear them out. When it's time for a new pair of mocs, I think this will be the pair I invest in.

Six: Flair Pens. If your cowgirl has to keep records and enjoys color-coding, buy her a pack of these. My girl boss and I use these exclusively for our record books. They don't fade or quit working when it's cold, and they come in 20+ colors to keep all of your cows and events straight.

Seven: Custom Headstall. If your cowgirl is into horses, this is a wonderful gift idea. This picture is of a custom headstall that my father-in-law made me. You can have them tooled any way you like--a little floral tool with some pretty conchos would make for a gorgeous, feminine headstall. Bonus if you buy her a new bit to go with it! Custom spur straps are also a great option. These are also great options if you need another idea for your cowboy.

Eight: Boots. Every cowgirl, whether she works with you or in a office, loves new boots. This pair is definitely a town pair, but you can never have too many, right??

Nine: Leather Tote. I received this bag for my birthday two years ago, and it's one of my favorite things I own. When Bert asked me what I want for Christmas, he said "You like purses, do you want a new purse?" and I had to inform him that I already own the perfect purse and will likely never buy another tote. Don't worry, though, I gave him some other ideas :) This purse is simple, the leather is gorgeous (and indestructible), and I've gotten so many compliments on it. I know it'll be a hit!

Ten: 2016 Planner. I require a planner, and in the past I've always bought really pretty ones from Vera Bradley or Lilly Pullitzer, but those have gotten too bulky since Wacey's baby bag is the bag I use the most now. I found this very pretty streamlined version from Anthropologie, and bonus, it also comes in floral. Guess which one I put on my wish list this year? Another option is to get your gal a tooled leather cover!

Edited to add: After I wrote this post, my friend Anne turned me on to this planner which has so many great options, too!

Eleven: Wool Socks. Nothing says "Merry Christmas!" like a pair of pretty, warm, knee-high wool socks. They're the gift that keeps on giving!

Twelve: Stormy Kromer.Stormy Kromer makes an adorable version of the men's hat that I put on my cowboy gift guide. They come in several colors, or if you're not into flowers (I obviously have a problem), they have some really cool plaid ones sans floral addition. Something cute and fun that's also functional! And again, will guarantee that your fella will never borrow it and muck it up or lose it.

Thirteen: Wild Rags. One of my friends mentioned that I didn't put rags on my cowboy gift guide, and she's so right and I definitely should have. These are the answer to all of your I-don't-know-what-to-get-my-cowperson questions, and they're an absolute staple during the winter months. You can never have too many! I have both solids and patterns--paisley and (you guessed it) floral are my favorites, but I like having lots of options because it's as close as a gal can get to accessorizing when she's got on layers of coats and coveralls. If you're handy or have a Serger, you can make these yourself! Silk of any kind (as long as it isn't too thick) will work. My sainted mother makes ours for us and it's wonderful.

Fourteen: Antler Necklace. A little rustic, a little dainty, and a little more unique than your standard horseshoe. This is another item on my personal wishlist, even.

Fifteen: Flannel, of course. Pretty, warm, functional--doesn't get much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment