Sunday, December 6, 2015

Sunday Night Highlights 12.6.15



Weekend Adventures:
  • I made these cookies, and they were a major hit. I chopped up big milk chocolate bars instead of using the mini chips because the real DoubleTree cookies have chocolate chunks, and if it ain't broke (and giant Hershey bars are on major sale at the grocery store), right? 
  • Wacey and I also did a little Christmas shopping yesterday. My boys have been done for weeks, and I finished gathering up surprises for almost everyone else yesterdy. Schwing!
  • This afternoon, Wacey and I went on an adventure and it was great fun--I am a occasional checker of our county's swap shop Facebook page, and we found a set of wooden twin beds that can be bunked, complete with mattresses, for a steal, and bonus! one of my best friends from highschool's mom was selling them! She lives on a gorgeous farm with the coolest house (hellloooo wide-plank wood floors) and it was so fun to visit. And now, when Wace and future kids are ready for big kid beds, we're all ready to go. I sense an Annie Sloan project coming on. 
Agriculture: 
  •  Most Christmas trees are grown on tree farms, and there's a tree farm in every state! For every one tree that's chopped down, three more are planted.
  • Winter wheat isn't harvested during the winter, it's harvested during the early summer--it is planted in the fall, sprouts, and then lies dormant all winter and starts growing again in spring.
  • Cows eat between 22-28 pounds of hay a day, depending on how big they are, and we tend to feed them a little more when it's very cold. 

On the Ranch:
  • The guys are sorting cows into calving groups this week. We sort them based upon due date so not everyone is calving at once, or for months. Since we AI, we can stagger our cows pretty well so it's not too much of a drag for anyone. Bert will calve the heifers (first-time mothers), who are due first, around the 15th of January. 
  • We're also PAP-testing some calves this week, and having our annual pre-calving meeting with the vet. I'll write a post about it this week, it's pretty cool stuff.
  • We have our annual ranch Christmas party next weekend. It's a chance for us all to get gussied up, eat prime rib, shake hands with the ranch owner, and have a good time in general. Pictures and a review next week!
On the Home Front:
  • Christmas is in full swing down here! The tree is up, the lights are lit...and the greenery for the fresh garland is in a pile on the front porch. I have plans for it to become a brightly-lit Griswold-worthy masterpiece in the next two to four days. Ha.   
  • Since Bert and I finished Star Wars, we're continuing our sci-fi education with the Matrix trilogy. It's pretty weird. But good! 
  • I sent out Christmas cards this week! Christmas cards are one of my favorite parts about the holiday season, partially because addressing envelopes and snail mail are two of my favorite things. And the stamps! Peanuts! Good job, USPS.
  • I love finding good deals, who doesn't?  

No comments:

Post a Comment