Sunday, December 13, 2015

Sunday Night Highlights 12.13.15


Weekend Adventures:
  • It was a snowy sort of weekend, which the Christmas enthusiast in me loves. Wace and I went on a snowy, bundled up walk yesterday, blasting Christmas songs on my phone, and it was ahhh-mazing. 
  • Yesterday night was our annual company Christmas party. It was great! We had delicious food and got to visit all the horses at the fancy horse barn. 
  • Sunday was a lazy day. Went out to breakfast, which is a major treat for us, and just hung around the house. I tied up some loose Christmas ends, did some chores, made my Christmas baking to-do list, that sort of thing. 
Agriculture: 
University of Colorado at Boulder: Old Main Building 
  • Cows have one stomach with four chambers, which is how they are able to digest tough plant matter.
  • Cows' gestation is nine months, just like humans. Having now been pregnant myself, I feel like my relationship with the girls has moved to the next level. And pulling calves makes me cringe a little bit now!

On the Ranch:
  • The cows are almost all sorted up. I'm working on getting the calving books ready for the guys. More on that soon!
  • In the show barn, they're getting the show cattle ready for the National Western Stock Show in January. There are several heifers and two pens of bulls going, and the show crew is logging long hours in the barn. 
  • We're all starting to get ourselves ready for calving--getting barns and vet rooms cleaned, stocked, and ready to go; making sure feeders and tractors are in working order; working on pens and gates if need be; and girding our loins in general. The heifers are due to calve the 15th of January, just like last year, but last year our first calf was born on December 27th, so we are going to be ready! 
On the Home Front:
  • Getting pretttty excited for Christmas! Gifts are wrapped, cookies and goodies are being made, and stockings are hung.    
  • I'm looking forward to an easy couple of weeks before Christmas. Wacey's regular nap schedule is really an amazing, wonderful thing and it's allowing me to get so much done!
  • We went to Zoolights at the Denver zoo this week and it was so fun! Wacey's eyes as big as saucers the whole time looking at all the lights.
  •  Have you heard of the Do It (Tomorrow) App? I learned about it through another blog I read--this gal is a young medical resident (and a Harvard grad!) with a toddler and a newborn, so you know anything she recommends in terms of organization has got to be good--and I love it. I like a paper planner for scheduling, but I love having a to-do list that doesn't add to my paper pile I seem to take everywhere. I make my list right before I go to sleep at night, and having the ability to check off a task and watch it disappear (or move it to tomorrow!) is a great motivator for me to get things done. Since having Wacey, I need to keep a running to-do list or else I forget things. 
  • I'm starting to think about what I want 2016 to look like. 2015 was an unusual year (not just because of, you know, having a baby!) and I want to make some really intentional, manageable goals and stick to them. Meaning that I'm currently watching Toy Story and putting off adulting until later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment