Thursday, December 3, 2015

Gift Ideas for the Cowboy in Your Life


I know, I know. Gift guides. Ugh. 

Or maybe not ugh, because if you're like me, you enjoy seeing ideas for gifts because you're fresh out and your people are hard to shop for! I've seen a lot of gift guides for men, but I thought I would make my own because none of the ones I've found have fit my husband or any of the cowboys I know at all. So, if you have a cowboy to buy gifts for, or a guy that is a western type or just likes this kind of stuff, here's what I've had success with!

One: Ropes. Not exactly a "fun" gift, but I know my husband always appreciates new ropes since a rope can get ruined pretty fast if things decide to get wild. Make sure that you know what kind and lay (softness) he likes! 

Two: Moccasins. Bert has these exact ones. Minnetonkas hold up great, and are the perfect incentive for your guy to strip his [muddy] boots off at the door! They're also cozy.

Three: The Best Travel Mug. You guys. Contigo mugs are the BEST. They don't spill even when turned upside down or have been rolling around the floorboards all morning, keep stuff really hot, are dishwasher safe and pretty tough! They're pricey, though--I recommend getting them at Costco, especially when they're on sale.

Four: Stormy Kromer Scotch Cap. A wintertime cowboy headwear staple. Plus, you can get them embroidered with their brand or initials, too.

Five: Leatherman. Leathermans are a great gift for any man in your life. They come in a variety of types, and they're handy to have around. Bert has the one pictured here, and always has it with him. Another thing that can be engraved so that when they leave it in the barn, it has a better chance of finding its way home.

Six: Moscow Mule Mugs. These are neat, and Moscow Mules are delicious. I don't actually know many cowboys who know what a Moscow Mule is, but they'll drink out of these mugs no matter what's in 'em!

Seven: Mittens. I couldn't find the exact pair I was looking for, but lots of saddle shops carry them or know where you can find them. The best ones are lined with sheepskin, and are a sight warmer than gloves. These babies will help your fella keep his hands warm when he's horseback moving cattle in the winter (or riding his snowmobile or pursuing other winter...pursuits? Yes.)

Eight: Flannel Shirts. You can NEVER go wrong with flannel shirts, right? The ones I have here are Wrangler, since they have snaps, and Bert owns several. I borrow them sometimes (shhhh!), so I can attest that they're comfortable, wash well and fit true to size.

Nine: Rope Gum Sole Mocs. If a cowboy isn't wearing his boots or Minnetonkas (see what I did there), this is what's on his feet. I'm thinking about getting a pair myself--they also come in dark brown, and a fun red.

Ten: Carhartt Puffer Vest. Bert has one of these, and he loves it. The material is thicker than your average pv, so they're more likely to withstand barbed wire, getting stuffed under a tractor seat, trampled in the mud by a four-legged critter, or just left in the back of the pickup covered in something stinky until May when you finally get tired of the stench and give it to your wife to wash and air out in the sun for like, ever.

Eleven: Boots. Of course, where's a cowboy without his boots? Now, unless I had very specific instructions, I would never order riding boots for Bert since many cowboys get their riding boots custom-made. But a nice pair of boots for town are never a bad idea--Bert wore a pair very like these to our wedding! It's actually better if you get them a pair that they don't want to ride in or wear to work, because that will guarantee they stay clean :)

Twelve: Spurs. If you want to go really fancy, you can order a pair of spurs. There are many makers, and chances are that you know what sort your husband likes, or he's told you (or visited the same website every day for three months). Or he collects fancy bits and spurs, in which case you can't go wrong. I got these exact spurs for Bert a few years ago, customized with his initials. He has several other pairs, but still wears these often and they've held up really well.  Be careful, though--spurs are like women's jewelry. Some--like these--are affordable. Some--like these--are not.

I hope this helped you with some ideas for those hard-to-shop-for men in your life! You can also do what I do and be creepy all year round in an effort to glean details about wish list items for the guys who swear they don't know what they want for Christmas (unless it's a new horse/trailer/pickup/insert other very expensive item that you can't actually afford as a Christmas gift).

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic list! You could have added wild rags and twisted x mocs :)
    Ryan's favorite coffee cup is his travel stanely! He's on his third one and a fourth is coming in his stocking as a backup. His first one got ran over by the skidder...not his fault, and then his second one got stolen...Its spill proof and keeps his coffee hot all day long! He loves that thing.
    I can't wait to see what you put together for the girls, if you decide to do one!

    ReplyDelete