Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wacey's Summer Clothes Picks

If you don't live in a hole I'm sure you've heard that it's currently blizzarding in my neck of the woods. 

I hate to break it to y'all, but this is something that happens in the spring in Colorado. March is actually the snowiest month, and every year people seem to be taken aback by the hot-cold-summer-winter weather cycle that is Springtime in the Rockies. This is why we don't plant gardens pre-Memorial Day. 

I agree that it's not the funnest. I agree that having days where you can be outside and have the sun warm you through your cold, winterized bones is heaven on earth. I agree that cabin fever is a thing, and that Vitamin D is so so so welcome after a long winter. But, you know the best part about spring storms? They're in and out and then the weather is back to being glorious again! 

Plus, my agricultural-in-a-semi-arid-state two cents: y'all, we always need the moisture. 

So, today, while the screens of the windows are plastered with snow and apparently the sun will never shine again, I'm thinking ahead to the days when the sun will, in fact, shine again and we'll be outside in the sun, wearing shorts and wishing for a personal cloud of snow like Eeyore's raincloud with which to make snowcones because the ice cream truck don't travel round these here parts.

Wacey has almost no summer clothes since we didn't know what size he would be (he's pretty solidly in 18-month bottoms, and 18-24 month tops, although some 2T stuff does fit), so I can't wait to get him some duds! For him, Bert and I both prefer simple, soft, washable things that can be mixed and matched and don't have obnoxious sayings all over the front. 

I also tend to gravitate towards blue because, well, Wacey's eyes.

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14

We have two needs for summer clothes: rodeo and play. My taste in clothes for both myself and Wacey lies on a spectrum with Wrangler on one end, and J.Crew (or Oshkosh for him) on the other. I'm not sure what to call it. Preppy Cowboy? Western Nautical? Chambray Overload? Elle Woods Married The Marlboro Man and had Babies? Drinking Bellinis at a Rodeo? 

Anways, monikers aside, that's how we roll. 

For rodeos, because of the dust and dirt and being in the sun--but also often going into the evening--we usually dress Wacey in long sleeves and pants, and stay in the shade as much as we can. I like Cherokee, Circo, and Oshkosh jeans for him because they're soft and fit him really well--big in the waist and not too long! For shirts, I tried to find some that match Bert's rodeo shirts (royal blue and tan), but they don't make them in little sizes so I'll probably order coordinating plaid ones to get embroidered with the ranch's brand. We already have several button-downs, but I'd like to add a couple to our collection. They're also perfect to throw on over short sleeves during cooler days or in the evening.

For play clothes, I like light, airy, washable, cotton like every other mom on the planet. I love henleys, obviously, and stick with neutrals in the bottoms department so we don't have designated "outfits". I also try to make sure we have a long-sleeve with us all the time in case it gets chilly.

For shoes, I have no idea what we'll do. Go barefoot as much as possible, I guess! He has a pair of those moccasins already, and they're the only shoes I can fit on his tiny fat feet (seriously--he wears, like a 2 1/2). I'm hoping that by summertime his feet will have grown a bit so we can get him in some tennis shoes! I have very low expectations in this department, though, and I guarantee he won't be in cowboy boots for a loooooooong time.

I hope that we'll be able to spend more time at the pool this summer, and nothing says summer like a pair of 'Merica trunks, amiright? Add some Wayfarer-style sunglasses, and I think we're good to go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment