Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday Night Highlights 3.13.16



Weekend Adventures:
  • My primary goal this weekend has been rest. Wacey got sick last week and gave it to the both of us, so we're all fighting the tail end (I hope) of snotty noses and stuffy heads.
  • Currently, there's a pot of chicken stock simmering on the stove in preparation for chicken & noodles. I've never made chicken & noodles completely from scratch--stock and all--and I'm so excited to see how this turns out. It already smells soul-healing, which is what we're aiming for! 
  • Bert and I are camped out of the sofa while Wacey is asleep (!!!!) watching The Martian, which so far is like Castaway but on Mars. We're about an hour in, and I highly recommend. Normally I'm not into space movies, but I can see why this one was nominated for Best Picture.
Agriculture:
  • I've been reading up and planning for my garden, and I've learned a lot of things! Keep in mind that I'm a total newb, so don't make fun of me.
    • Kale is a very hardy vegetable that grows in cool weather, so it can be harvested both in the spring and the fall. 
    • Heirloom tomatoes are gorgeous.
    • My lilac bushes need some serious attention
On the Ranch:
  • Bert has one heifer left to calve! That means night calving has stopped, and he's a little tiny less busy for a minute before we start breeding season. I'm glad for him to get a little more rest and not have to work as hard! The real treat is when the cows get kicked out to grass and the guys don't have to feed every day anymore.
  • Otherwise, business as usual. We're feeling so fortunate to have had such nice weather lately, our calves are really looking good. 
On the Home Front:
  • You guys, I've got nothin'. I have zero plans for the upcoming week beyond getting everyone healthy and the house in some semblance of working, sterilized order. 
  • If I can manage that, my next plan of attack is to get a work nook ready downstairs. I need a designated place to work downstairs while Wacey is playing--not the sofa--with a desk, bulletin board, etc. I realized last week how disorganized I am, and I can't take it anymore. I have all the supplies I need, I've just got to throw it together. 
  • We're going to do our best to get up to my bro- and sis-in-law's ranch's bull sale next week, so please cross your fingers that we're all healthy! We can't bring germs with us because they have a little baby!
  • I discovered green juice. I like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment