Monday, March 7, 2016

Sunday Night Highlights 3.6.16


Weekend Adventures:
  • Yesterday, Wacey got a haircut and hated every minute of it. 
  • Today, we're headed into town to celebrate my lovely mother-in-law's birthday. Both of Bert's siblings will be there, plus all of their kids, so it's bound to be a good time. I always make angel food cake with homemade whipped cream and strawberries. And then I eat too much cream and strawberries. 
  • We were surprised with a warm Sunday morning, so Wacey and I spent the morning outside playing with his bike while I tried to discuss the finer points of the animal kingdom with him; namely, that not all animals are called "dog," but he doesn't care. And actually, I don't either. It's hilarious and cute. Plus, it's his only word. 
Agriculture:
  • It's springtime, so in addition to lambing and kidding and calving, sheep are also being sheared. Their wool is sheared off in one piece, called a fleece.
  • Pigs can't sweat, which is why they wallow in mud to cool off. They can also run a seven-minute mile, which makes me feel really excellent about my fitness level.
  • Wheat farmers make five cents or less from every loaf of bread you buy at the store. 

On the Ranch:
  • Calves, of course.
  • We'll be ultrasounding heifers for carcass traits this week. Actually the vet will, the cowboys will be running cows through the chute, and I'll probably be at home, keeping an eye on our heifers--we have just a few stragglers left to calve at our camp, and have about 500 total. 
  • The first ranch rodeo is two months from this weekend! That may not seem very close, but trust me, it is.
On the Home Front:
  • Oh Springtime. I know we'll get at least one more snow and it's WAY too early to put in a garden, but that doesn't mean I can't plan. This year, I'm getting off to a good start and really researching and, well, planning our garden. Plus, Bert now has a skidsteer for our camp, which means I can build up our raised garden with some fresh dirt--it needs it! 
  • We're quiet around here for just a minute. Pretty soon, we'll swing full on into spring work, which means breeding and branding on top of more calving and a couple of bull sales, so I'm enjoying our last sort of quiet week. We were looking ahead to our April and May calendars, and y'all? We've never been so busy! I'm kind of excited, kind of dreading it, but mostly excited.
  • For all of these trips and busy seasons coming up, I'm thinking of getting a Lily Jade diaper bag. They're pricey, but so perfect for what we need. I LOVE my diaper bag now, but it's not designed to back a small army's worth of stuff that I like to have for trips and rodeos because I'm a crazy person. I'm waiting to see how much new plates are for the Subaru tomorrow (meh) to see how close I'm going to get to my new bag, haha, and how much more of my unused things I need to attempt to hock on eBay, #reallife, yo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment