Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wacey's First Christmas Gifts

I love shopping for Christmas gifts. I love surprising people, and I love wrapping them up in paper and making pretty tags. I tend to go overboard, though (imagine), and so Bert and I are sticking with the "something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read," because although presents are fun, Christmas isn't about the presents and we don't want to make it that way. But, this year we're sort of bending the rules a little and going a little toy-heavy because, well, Baby's First Christmas. 

Not too overboard, though. He won't get an actual live pony until he's at least three :)

Wacey, being our first baby and being spoiled all around, has everything he needs and more. I (and the grandmothers and aunts and great-aunts) buy him clothes as he needs them, and he got so many books from my baby showers that we're set for quite awhile. It's getting to the point where he increasingly enjoys sitting and playing by himself for ten to fifteen minutes at a time, trying to figure something out, so we need some more big kid toys up in here! I'm investing in some along the way that we'll be able to use for other children, too. 

Plus, he doesn't really have any idea about Christmas and will just end up playing with the tissue paper anyways.



I love Melissa & Doug toys because they're simple, they're affordable, and I know they'll stand the test of time. Plus Wace can slobber all over everything and it isn't a big deal.

The Schleich animals are just necessary for any ranch kid. Wacey saw some at a saddle shop over the summer, but they're pretty dense little (not too little, don't worry!) toys, and he couldn't pick them up because they were too heavy! One of the other little boys on the ranch brought his to a ranch dinner, though, and Wacey decided he liked the taste of them, and I guess he's been working out or something because they're not too heavy anymore! We're starting his herd off with an Angus cow, a red baldy Simmental and a black bull. 

The Rody bouncy horse is also a ranch kid staple, it seems, every little boy we know has one (I'm sure you've seen the bucking chute video), and they have great reviews on Amazon, so this guy is on his way to our house as we speak. This is the priciest item on Wacey's list, but they last a long time, and when he's done with him we'll deflate and store for the next kiddo. Plus, sometimes it's fun to get him something just because it's cool, you know?

I had never heard of Red Ranger Came Calling until I asked Bert if he could think of any books he wanted to get Wace for Christmas, and he immediately said this one! Apparently it's hilarious, so I can't wait for it to arrive.

I've had my eye on this shirt jacket forever, after seeing it on another little boy. It's enough to keep Wace warm between the car and the house, but not so bulky that it's unsafe under a carseat. I buy a lot of his clothes consignment (seriously the best way to go when your kid grows like a chubby little weed), but sometimes you just have to spring for something new (with a 20% off coupon, of course).

Wacey discovered bead mazes at the doctor's office this year, and was entranced even though he was feeling poorly, so I think we need to add this to our collection. I like toys that can can play with while I'm working that help him learn. 

I love Jan Brett books (the Mitten, anyone?) and anything involving armadillos and rodeos has to be a winner, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment