Friday, March 11, 2016

A Horse Is A Horse

I had big plans for a blog post complete with photos about ultrasounding the heifers, but Wacey got his very first cold and I felt pretty bad for the little guy (and didn't want to infect the entire ranch), so we stayed home. He was pretty miserable, but with the help of a humidifier, my handy-dandy NoseFrida, and a little Benadryl, Hubba Bubba seems to be back to his normal self, albeit with a little more snot.

Since I don't have any fun pictures of ultrasounding, the horses volunteered to be the subject of today's post.

Okay, fine, Ninja volunteered all of them. She's sort of pushy.

Anywho.

Here's the pushy gal herself: Ninja. She's coming four. Her name is Ninja because my oldest nephew wanted to name the next horse Michaelangelo, but the next horse was a girl, so her name is Michaelangela, or Ninja for short. It's fitting because she's an escape artist.

Also, she's really shy and likes to hide in her shell. Obviously.


Suuuuuuuper shy. Not curious at all. Great respect for photographic boundaries.

The poor gal standing next to her is Molly. Molly is a project of Bert's--she's an older mare that we got from another guy on the ranch that needs some work. She's pretty shy, but she's nice, and Bert told me last night that she's doing really well.


She's also Early's mother! Here's a picture of them almost two years ago when Early was born. He was so tiny and sweet.


And here's Early now! He's big and fat, just like he should be. Bert has worked with him a little bit, but will really get started on his training this summer.


Unlike his Mama, he is NOT shy. He's still sweet!


His friend, there, is Jig. He's a horse that the ranch owns that is part of Bert's working string--since Early, Ninja, and Molly are all kind of projects, they aren't ridden for daily ranch work yet. 

Asa is, of course, Bert's main man. Bert started him, and they've been together since before Bert and I have been together! They're like peas and carrots. Or even like a cowboy and his horse. You know, They get along so well, and Ace is Bert's go-to when he needs to rope something, because Asa would help him rope a house if Bert asked him to.

This is not something Bert's ever asked of him, though, just to be clear.


Ace is also my favorite ride. He's so so gentle, and sort of a goof, and takes good care of whomever he's packing around, and I know he won't buck me off and ruin my camera or something, or like, break my leg. Because I usually have a camera, and I always bring my legs along. He'll be Wacey's horse someday!



Miss is our boss lady. We bought her with our wedding money when we lived in Montana. She had some quirks when we got her, but Bert's done a great job with helping her get over some of her issues and now she's in the rotation just as much as Ace. She's also Bert's go-to ranch rodeo horse. I really like her, too. She's fiesty and so smooth and easy to ride and if she were a person, I think she would be a loud-mouthed diva who gets things done, and hates mud, but still gets things done.



She also likes Wacey, which is a big plus. 


So there they are! In addition to these six, Bert also usually has an outside project, too. Right now he has another horse down at the barn from one of the other guys on the ranch. 

I always dreamed of having real live horses when I was growing up. I had (have--it's at my parents') a pretttttyyyyyy impressive Breyer collection, but nothing comes close to the real thing! It's kind of funny because when we moved to Montana, we took one horse (Asa), when we came back, we had two, and now we've upped the ante to five and I think that makes us a little crazy.

And by us I mean Bert, since I currently spend most of my time with the human rugrat and thus he gets to play with the equine rugrats. 

And by play with, I mean feed, shoe, ride, groom, etc. 

And by spend most of my time with, I mean try and play educational games with but really I mean clean up after and snuggle.

We like to keep things honest over here :)




No comments:

Post a Comment