Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sunday Night Highlights 1.31.16



Weekend Adventures:
  • Yesterday, me and my favorite Carhartt-clad baby boy went to town for pre-storm groceries, calving supplies, and a Starbucks fix before we get snowed in. 
  • Bert's best friend Josh is visiting us this weekend. I swear he's the best houseguest! He always cooks or brings us dinner from town, and is just my fave. This time, we got big-city Chinese food and an evening of them laughing over their hilarious yearbooks and it was great!
  • It was so nice yesterday so I did my best to get outside with Wacey. He's in this weird stage where he hates any kind of sun on his face and is not super enamored with his stroller, so we just goofed around.
  • We're bracing for a big storm--we got six inches last night, and will probably get six more plus below-zero temperatures this week. Since going to the barn in this weather with Wace is hard, I am on-call calving support, making sure everyone has the supplies they need!
Agriculture: 
  • When it's really cold, calves can get frostbitten easily, especially their ears and tails, and sometimes their noses and less often their feet. You'll know a rancher had a cold winter when he's got lots of short ears and tails in one calf crop. For instance, the winter of 08 must have been super cold in Harrison, Montana (where we used to work) because half the cows had short ears.
  • When calves learn to run, they have this thing where when they run SO fast, their little tails go up and spin around. I'll get it on video one of these days.
  • Calves need colostrum just like human babies do. If we're worried that a calf didn't get enough, or its mom doesn't have milk yet, we give them colostrum replacer or a liquid colostrum supplement. It really helps! 
On the Ranch:
  • Calving calving calving, rawhide! That's literally it. Calving cows, feeding cows, tagging calves, doctoring calves, entering calves into the database, continue.
On the Home Front:
  • We're in full prep mode for Wacey's party! I ordered his gifts from us (the tunnel and carseat from Friday's post), got some decorations and am currently trying to decide which pinata is better--donkey, or bull? Or is a mustache fiesta-themed enough? And by we, I mean me, because I honestly don't think that Bert gives one hoot about the pinara, but I can't really blame him.
  • I'm hooked on Pure Barre. Obviously we don't have a Pure Barre near us, but I got a DVD and LOVE it. I mean, love it. I also love that it's a workout I can do in the morning before Wacey gets up and still feel like I had some quiet moments to myself. I don't get that same feeling early in the morning with the treadmill! I've found that if I save the treadmill for the later mornings or the evenings I have more energy, which is weird, but I'll go with it.
  • I'm currently reading Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky and it's really good! I haven't been very good about reading "real" books lately, so I'm glad this one doesn't suck ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment