Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sunday Night Highlights 1.3.16



Weekend Adventures:
  • For New Year's Eve (that's technically the weekend, right?) we continued our tradition of getting Chinese take-out and watching a movie (Trainwreck--I loved it!). Sort of lame, but when you live in the boonies, there aren't any bars close (the nearest one to us is a rather seedy establishment called the Pop-A-Top Saloon), and Chinese take-out is a major treat. 
  • Yesterday, Wacey and I braved the grocery store and the dreaded Walmarts to go on our big monthly shopping trip. I get produce several times a month, but I do one big shopping trip at the beginning of every month. I make a big list and pull out the coupons and sort of love it and fear it all at the same time. Wacey growled for three hours straight. It was sort of funny, but also sort of loud. It's nice to have a fully stocked pantry and fridge, though!
  • Last night, we started watching Making a Murderer, and we're pretty handily sucked in. I can't wait to see what's next.
  • Tonight, we're going out to dinner in town with a gift card that we got for Christmas, sort of a last hurrah before calving season starts and Bert has to stick close to the ranch for a couple months.
Agriculture: 
  • The average calf weighs between 65 and 95 pounds at birth.
  • Most ranches calve in the spring, but some calve in the fall. It depends on the available forage and other things like labor and marketing. 
  • Baby calves drink about a gallon of milk a day.
On the Ranch:
  • We had our first calf yesterday! I always name the first calf, and this guy's name is Rooster. Lst year was Boomhauer, and the year before was Lola. I'll write a post about it later this week!
  • The stock show crew will be leaving with all the cattle this week, and will start showing the cows next weekend, mostly in Red Angus shows. We'll also have a two pens of bulls.
  • This side of Christmas, it's all about getting ready for calving season. Barns are getting cleaned out and bedded with fresh straw, vet rooms are stocked with vaccines and medicine, and I'll be printing and distributing calving books this week. 
On the Home Front:
  • Christmas was AMAZING. Having a kid makes Christmas a thousand times better, even when they're too small to know what's going on. Wacey got spoiled rotten, for which I am eternally grateful because now he has a great selection of new toys to play with while I work, and new clothes to grow into like, next week.   
  • I took a break from the blog because I want to be super deliberate about what I put in this space. I'll write a post about that sometime soon, because I think it's important to be transparent and truthful. 
  • This side of New Year's, I have a couple resolutions that I'm really going to try to stick to. Again, post forthcoming! Can you tell I'm planning posts?
  • While I'm missing the holidays a little this year, I think 2016 is going to be a good year, and I'm excited for some things coming up! 
  • Last week, some family friends came out to visit and have a little tour of the ranch, and we were treated to the entire elk herd running around the pickup! It was like a safari, I couldn't have planned it better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment