Tuesday, February 9, 2016

C&W Go To Town

Yesterday was Wacey's one-year checkup! We go to a pediatrician in town, so like every rural family when we go to town we Go To Town to become purveyors of all that Town and stores other than our local Walmarts have to offer.

(We don't actually live that far off the beaten path, certainly much closer to an actual city than we've ever lived, but the selection at our not-so-podunk Walmart still sucks. Plus, in terms of overall experience, Target > Walmart, and in terms of produce selection and prices, Sprouts > Everywhere, and Costco=addicting.) Think of it as Destination Grocery Shopping.

Here are a few snaps from our day.



This is what I call a "mom win." For some ridiculous, unknown reason, I couldn't get an afternoon appointment for Wacey's one-year, even though I scheduled it three months ago (I was pretty adamant that is 15-month is in the pm because #naptime). So, it was right smack in the middle of naptime, and brosef was thisclose to a serious meltdown (apparently he hates having his head circumference measured even more than he hates shots), and I was a little worried I was going to have a tiny, exhausted terror on my hands during a meeting yesterday afternoon. But, he fell asleep almost as soon as we got in the car, bless his little heart. Conveniently, a bakery with delicious salads and a drive thru is cattycorner to the ped, so I sat in the car while Wacey had himself a little nap, enjoying a salad, smoothie, and back episodes of the Longest Shortest Time podcast before my afternoon meeting. Pre-baby, I would have said sitting in a car in a parking lot in Parker, Colorado, eating a salad from a restaurant in spitting distance on burpcloth-covered knees (to protect the outfit from errant dressing drops, duh) was both sort of sad and also ridiculous. Now, I call a meal enjoyed slowly while listening to something pleasant a total success, and an experience to be repeated, no matter where it occurs.


Our Target buys: Thank-you cards, toddler toothpaste, and mascara. It was sheer willpower (and the fact that I was going to be late for Wacey's appointment if we didn't hustle, yes I planned it that way) that got me out of Target with my budget intact. I did not walk through women's clothing, baby clothing, or home decor because my willpower isn't that strong. The stationery aisle almost did me in--there was no way I was going to survive lamps, throw pillows, baby shorts, or amazing striped tunics. 


I love Sprouts. If you live anywhere that has a location, I totally recommend. It's not quite as awesome as Trader Joe's for a lot of things, but their produce selection and prices are killer. I don't normally get to shop here--the closest location is forty miles away, so obviously, I stocked up. I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies so that Wace gets to try more things without extra prep (ain't nobody got time for that) and learns about allthefoods, and because one of my NYR is to be healthier, obvs. 


Another reason I love Sprouts? The bulk bins. Sea salt, trail mix, chocolate-covered raisins (on sale!), and this newfangled pink Himalayan salt that everyone is talking about. Come to momma.


Tonight's dinner was his&hers pasta. I'm trying to go a little lighter on the carbs while my calorie-burning cowboy hunk of a husband piles them on because he loses five pounds overnight if he doesn't eat like Michael Phelps, so this is something a do a lot and it's one of my faves. It doesn't take any extra pots and pans, I just sort of separate mine and his. I use whole wheat veggie pasta for mine (because I will never give up pasta entirely), regular for his. We both have tons of veggies and diced chicken breast. Bert has pesto, I have lemon pepper, everyone wins! 

These days are exhausting because we run, run, run, since I save up errands so that I make the most out of the trip (and hauling a 23-pound kid in and out of the car six-seven times is no joke, I'm so happy to not be driving the pickup on days like this), but they're also kind of fun and a little bit of a treat. Especially with a rugrat a entertaining as Wace. Even though he was sleepy and got three shots, he was still firing on all especially goofy cylinders today.

I like him.

It's days like these where me and my little pard go on adventures without too much difficuly that I think "You know, this mom gig doesn't suck."

And it doesn't.

Even if he did poop his pants in the stinkiest fashion in the Sprouts checkout line, and holler throughout the duration of my meeting.

It still totally doesn't suck.


No comments:

Post a Comment