Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sunday Night Highlights 2.21.16


Weekend Adventures:
  • Yesterday, Wacey and I went to the library to get my giant stack of books on hold, and invest in some more sippy cups. And while we were getting said sippy cups, I found a new rose gold glitter nailpolish, so given my obsession with glitter nailpolish, scooped that baby right up and did my nails in the car before driving home. Natch. 
  • We also got a car wash because I was driving a dirt beast down the road, and whole chickens on sale for 69 cents a pound. Like four of them. This chalks up to a good day in my wonderful #momlife. Okay, I also got bux. That helps. 
  • Today is going to be a lazy day, I can tell. I'm excited about it, we had a busy week! We're currently watching The American semifinals on RFD, and then a nice long walk (because Wacey loves walks again thanks to his wind cover!) this afternoon. Oh and like laundry and cleaning toilets, but this is a blog. We don't talk about those things ;)
Agriculture:
  • Calves need to have colostrum as soon as possible after birth. This is because they are born without any antibodies, and get all of their antibodies from their mothers. The antibodies are absorbed through pores in their intestinal lining, and those pores begin to close a few hours after birth.
  • When calves nurse and are really getting after it, they wag their little tails and it's so cute.
  • Calves start adding grass or hay to their diet anywhere from 3-8 weeks, as soon as their rumen is developed enough to handle the roughage. 
On the Ranch:
  • Between all four camps, there were over a hundred calves born last week. Woo! I'm proud of the girls for getting these babies born while the weather is nice! It helps the guys so much. I'm doing my best to keep up with getting all the babies in the computer on time, and trying to keep track of supplies so we don't run out. 
  • We're starting to look towards ranch rodeo season, which is always a welcome change. The rodeos are almost all finalized in terms of dates and events, and the guys will start practicing when they can. I'm thinking about what I'm going to wear, of course. 
On the Home Front:
  • This week was out of the ordinary, in a good way. We got a new refrigerator, and y'all, my life is changed. Because the ranch provides the housing, we're at their mercy in terms of appliances and we've never had a full-size fridge in the six years we've been together (I know #firstworldprobs), but this can make things rough when you only shop once or twice a month! Our old fridge was dying in a freezing/thawing/leaking sort of way, and the guys came through and brought us a brand-new, FULL SIZE french-door beauty! Timely and perfect because we needed more room because...
  • Wacey is now officially on all whole milk, all the time! This is a big deal for us; I wasn't able to make enough milk for him, so he's been on formula since he was a month old, with no breastmilk by month four. That stuff is expensive, our kid eats like a horse, and now he eats like a baby calf. YAAAAS. We're working on sippy cups, slowly but surely! Where did my baby go?
  • This week we have nothing on the docket except for work and play, and watching election primary results (yikes, y'all). And hopefully another tooth! Come onnnnn tooth! And figuring out how I want to get my hair cut on Saturday. Which is like, a big deal. 
  • Totally put my got beef sticker on the Sub(aru). Totally love it. 
Aaaaannnnnddddd you can now follow me on Bloglovin! There's a link in the sidebar. I am horribly illiterate with blog stuff, but I'm learning, with a little help from my friends in the blogger help forum (thanks Chuck!). 


No comments:

Post a Comment