Friday, February 19, 2016

Our Favorite Recipes: Internets Edition

Hellllooooo Friday!

This week, the weather has been so nice that I've had a hard time staying inside beyond getting ranch computer stuff done, so I'm committing to getting this post down before we're done with breakfast this morning.

I am getting super excited for spring! We've spent tons of time outside on walks (I've logged 68,000 steps since Sunday! I'm a little proud, a little sore) and just goofing off and although it's windy, the warmth and Vitamin D has me thinking about all the things to do with Wacey this summer!

Today, I'm rounding up my favorite online tried-and-true recipes. I don't know about you, but I love finding recipes online but wish for more honest reviews, especially on blogs. I can usually tell if a recipe is going to work for us or not, but sometimes something I think will work turns out poorly--either just lackluster or completely inedible (I'm looking at you, mustard-marinated chicken breast)--which is a bummer when you've put in time on a weeknight and don't have a backup.

Because we live a rural area (and are on a budget) we don't eat out much, so I cook pretty much every night. We have about 30 recipes that I keep in a semi-rotation, but we go through phases where we'll eat the same ten or fifteen meals a few times per month. Each month I try to try one or two new things, and if we like them, they'll go into the rotation, and if they're a flop, I'll put them in a post someday for you so that you don't have to deal with the sting of disappointment at 6:00 pm on a Wednesday.

I have grand dreams of having a food portion of this blog, but because my food photography skills leave so much to be desired, I'll just review these here babies for you.

Disclaimer: yes, there is a lot of meat and a lot of rice/pasta on this list. It's all about proportion, people, and I throw as many vegetables as possible on the plate to accompany these lovely dishes.

Crispy Baked Pork Chops: We have this one or twice a month with the chops from our freezer, and it's soooooooo good. One thing I really love about it is that I can bread a bunch, freeze them, and just thaw and bake without having to make a mess every time. These chops are crunchy and savory without being heavy. I make with whole-wheat panko, and serve with wild/brown rice or pasta and a big pile of green vegetables like broccoli or asparagus. Potatoes are also good with this!


Pioneer Woman's Beef and Snow Peas: This is one that I love because I can use less tender cuts of meat, which we get a lot of since we get a half a beef--if only it could be all flanks and ribeyes! PW calls for flank steak, which is of course the best for stir-frying, but with longer marinating you can use something like a round steak, which I what I use for this the most. I marinate at least overnight, sometimes longer, with a splash of apple cider vinegar to help tenderize even more. I also double the amount of snow peas for additional greens, and serve over rice.


Pioneer Woman's Cajun Chicken Pasta: This is one of Bert's most-requested meals, and has gotten rave reviews from everyone I've made it for, even my little sister who has a very discerning palate. We're not wild about the tomatoes, so I usually sub tomatoes for mushrooms because they're Bert's favorite. I often add a little more bell pepper, too. I've tried the "lighter" version of this, but to me it's like reduced-fat Oreos. What's the point? It's okay to indulge! Nom nom nom. 

That being said, you can use a heckuva lot less heavy cream and still have this thing taste decadent. I don't measure anymore, but I know I use less than 1/4 cup all told. Bert hasn't commented on any difference, so I think it's a winner!


Chicken Fajitas: We typically use beef for fajitas since again, half a beef in the freezer, but sometimes it's nice for a change and I LOVE this recipe. Sometimes I'll add a little cilantro-lime rice a la Chipotle, plus sharp cheddar, and sour cream for Bert. I use the raw tortillas from Costco that you cook at home in a skillet--the next best thing to homemade, and SO GOOD. 


Soy-Marinated Balsamic Flank Steak: I put this with penne or campanelle pasta, green beans or roasted asparagus, and a balsamic vinegar reduction. Really good, really  flavorful, and also works on different cuts of meat, although I would recommend something more tender than a round steak for this one. I also like that I can broil it if the weather is horrendous. We're fair-weather grillers around here, I'll admit it!


Angel Hair Pasta with Italian Sausage and Mushrooms: This has become a major favorite chez Johnston, because my husband is an Italian Sausage fanatic. I use bucantini for the pasta, it adds just a little more chewiness that I love, and I use hot Italian Sausage for the meat because Johnstons are born with the tastebuds of steel and thus, everything is spicy and then Bert adds Tabasco. Our favorite sausage is Sara's Sausage, which you can find at most grocery stores in the Denver area at least. It's local, handmade, and by far the best we've ever had. Since this is sauce-less, it's light, but thanks to all the spices, it packs a punch for flavor. If you don't like fennel, though, this is not for you!


Kung Pao Chicken: This is delicious and different from what we typically eat. We love Asian flavors, especially since take-out is 25 miles away! It's hard to find dark soy sauce, so I usually just sub in a little balsamic vinegar and regular soy sauce, and it tastes great! I also often use Sambal Olek chili paste in place of the chilis, because, as I've mentioned before, the selection at our local grocery is rather limited in terms of "exotic" fare. I serve this with a pile of snow peas over rice and chop the peanuts. 


Chicken and Veggie Stir-Fry: This is my go-to stir fry sauce. I make a big batch and keep it in the fridge for nights when I want to make something healthy and fast. Costco has big bags of frozen stir-fry veggies that are GREAT for this, and cut the prep time considerably. Plus it has little baby corns and who doesn't love baby corns? Did you know that the plural of baby corn is actually baby corns? Truly, it is. I decided it when I was about six so it must be so. This is really good with either white or brown rice.


There it is! I plan on posting more of these as I try more things! Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment